I recently had the pleasure of spending some time with Haval’s new, and rather impressive, H6 HEV (Hybrid Electric Vehicle), Haval’s first, self-charging Hybrid… and off the bat. I LOVE IT!
Take a gander at the print and pics below and if you’re keep, catch my full review on YouTube!
Here’s the low-down
The Haval H6 is a compact SUV that was originally introduced in 2012 and has undergone several updates since then. It is available with both gasoline and hybrid electric (HEV) powertrains.
As a hybrid, the H6 HEV is powered by a combination of a 1.5-liter turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine and an electric motor, offering an impressive combined power output of 179kw and 530nm of torque paired with a six-speed dual-clutch transmission.
According to Haval, the H6 HEV has a fuel economy of approximately 5.5 liters per 100 kilometers, which is seems impossible for a large, well-equipped, all-in SUV but truth is, with real-world testing, I say a record of 63L/100KM – That’s brilliant!
One of the main advantages of the H6 HEV is its fuel efficiency, which is significantly better than that of the petrol-only version of the H6. The hybrid system also provides the H6 HEV with improved acceleration and power compared to the non-hybrid version… Foot down and it MOVES.
In terms of performance, the H6 HEV is generally well-regarded for its smooth and responsive powertrain and its confident handling on the road. I also found it an extremely comfortable ride, particular thanks to its air-conditioned/heated seats! But i was also really impressed with its spacious interior, pano-roof and plenty of room for passengers and cargo.
- The super sleek, head-turning styling (particularly in black)
- Panoramic roof fitted with a nifty electric blind
- Air-con/heated seats
- Phone charging pad to keep your battery topped
- Touchless auto tail-gate (I did struggle with this at times but it’s probably just me)
- The plethora of smart tech and driver assists
- Perfect family vehicle that doesn’t feel like a massive ‘truck’
- FUEL EFFICIENT!!!
- There’s some decent styling on the interior with extra storage spaces, funky ambient lighting and decent finishings
- The air vents feel very ‘direct’ and a little small.
- There is the classic lack of buttons issue as with most Manufacturers at the moment. So everything is operated through the infotainment system. That’s annoying.
- There is no spare wheel.
- The boot is a little shallow.
- The touchless tail-gate can be tricky to get right, so you end up looking like a whop waving your foot around.
Okay so the Haval H6 HEV is equipped with a huge range of tech features, so here’s a list of just a few i really enjoyed!
- A touchscreen infotainment system with support for Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, allowing you to easily connect your smartphone and access your apps and media on the go.
- An insane amount of cameras and sensors to make sure you can’t clip pavements or people walking past. Including a 360-degree camera system, which provides a bird’s-eye view of the vehicle and can make it easier to maneuver in tight spaces or when parking.
- Adaptive cruise control, which can automatically adjust your speed to maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front of you.
- Lane departure warning, which can alert you if you drift out of your lane as well as centre lane keeping (CLK) which is wild!
- Automatic emergency braking, which can detect if you are about to collide with another vehicle or object and automatically apply the brakes to help reduce the severity of the collision or avoid it altogether – I did not want to, nor need to test this. but it has it. haha
The H6 HEV, priced at around R670 000 is value for money for sure, with not a single box available to tick, this vehicle is extremely well-equipped and comfortable.
Wrap it up
Overall, the Haval H6 HEV is a solid choice for those who prioritise fuel efficiency, a smooth ride, great teach and safety offering a refined over-all driving experience. It offers good value for its price and is a reliable choice for those in the market for an impressive SUV.